[WLANware] Soekris firmware

Ulf Kypke-Burchardi u.kypke at feld11.net
Sat Nov 10 15:28:45 CET 2007

hi bob, nice setup,
the freifunk firmware is primary for linksys wrt54 and other devices
with this cpu and the accesscube (meshcube).
the soekris is x86 based and there is no freifunk firmware image for
this plattform.
i use soekris hardware as well, net4521 and 4528 and i use openwrt kamikaze.
there are some difference with the watchdog, you should check this.
as i know net45 series use sc520, i am not sure what watchdog the 48
series have. the openwrt kamikaze has a profile setting for 4801!
maybe you can use this. for my 45 series i use the  generic profile

since a few weeks, there is a web frontend package available, you can
search  the archive from the mailinglists. openwrt kamikaze is still in
development status, but it is running very stable.
but the kamikaze 709 version has some major bugs if you use the
precompiled binary for soekris hardware
1. not fixed atheros ad-hoc txstop
2. grub boot  menulist wrong serial declaration
3. watchdog / soft reboot problem

so i recommend to compile the 709 version and fix this problems by using
selfwritten patches, this is not very difficult.
the txstop hack you can "copy paste" from sven-ola
have a look in
http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/nylon/packages/madwifi/files/
and the broken grub stuff is very easy:
just delete the console and console=tty0 entries, here the diff

diff menu.lst menu.lst.working
2c2
< terminal --timeout=2 console serial
---
 > terminal --timeout=2 serial
9c9
< kernel  /boot/vmlinuz @CMDLINE@ noinitrd console=tty0
console=ttyS0, at BAUDRATE@n8 reboot=bios
---
 > kernel  /boot/vmlinuz @CMDLINE@ noinitrd console=ttyS0, at BAUDRATE@n8
reboot=bios
12,15c12,14
< title OpenWrt (failsafe)
< root  (hd0,0)
< kernel  /boot/vmlinuz failsafe=true @CMDLINE@ noinitrd console=tty0
console=ttyS0, at BAUDRATE@n8 reboot=bios
< boot
---
 > title   OpenWrt (failsafe)
 > root    (hd0,0)
 > kernel  /boot/vmlinuz failsafe=true @CMDLINE@ noinitrd
console=ttyS0, at BAUDRATE@n8 reboot=bios

the boot stuff can be a problem, i had that the way, because the soekris
box was only starting with a serial attached, very funny if you put it
on roof top after long long time of testing (with serial attached) and
start wondering why the device is not booting anymore, because it needs
the serial connection.
so, if you are somehow familiar, check  out  svn of kamikaze 709 like
discribed on dev.openwrt.org
have fun
ulf