[WLANware] Mesh with 2 radios (help with 5 ghz)

Frederico Marques frederico at marques.cx
Sun Jan 14 17:34:20 CET 2007

Hi,

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 5Ghz, Ad-Hoc + Madwifi-NG still needs fiddeling in my opinion. Here
> are some
> hints which may be helpful:
>
> - The Current madwifi-ng offered as
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/madwifi/madwifi-0.9.2.1.tar.bz2?
> modtime=1165501216&big_mirror=0
> has severe problems with Ad-Hoc (2.4 Ghz). Compiled it on Kubuntu
> (dapper)
> and experienced a lot of kernel oopses then. The SVN version (I am
> currently
> using 2006-12-12) is ok.
>
> - Madwifi-ng has some major freeze (stops to send packets after a
> while) in
> Ad-Hoc. Obviously no more TX-interrupts from the hardware. Here's a
> small
> hack to overcome this:
> http://olsrexperiment.de/sven-ola/nylon/packages/madwifi/files/sven-
> ola-txstophack.patch
>
> - Ad-Hoc in 5 Ghz needs a so-called "Channel Master" (on node
> beeing elected
> to scan the channel and inform the other nodes to swith channel if
> military/satelite radio signal is detected). There is no such thing
> in the
> madwifi-ng sources. To be on the legal side, you want to use a
> Master/Client
> setup.
>
> // Sven-Ola

Thank you for all the tips and information on ad-hoc madwifi.
Finally, I discovered that it was a problem related with the antenna
diversity/rx/tx configuration. By default madwifi has diversity
setting active. I noticed huge fluctuations in output power level of
each radio card with just one antenna and at the minute I read the docs:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/AntennaDiversity

*bang*, ajusted rx/tx to one antenna connection and turned off
diversity. I didn't noticed any difference with the connection
behavior on both ad-hoc or master/client setup. Must check it with
more detail. Thanks again, guys.

--fred