[WLANware] Bug with S05nvram and WL-HDD

Sven-Ola Tuecke mail2news at commando.de
Sun Oct 8 15:51:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

as a post-scriptum: a couple of feature requests have reached me recently
regarding an easy-to-use Private-to-Private tunneling pack. I would
appreciate contributions, especial if they add an admin/privtunnel page. One
language enough, I will convert to multilang.

Testing FFF currently has ipt_mac compiled in. Same with tun/tap support.
Matter of Firmware size. Next stable will keep that config. Because a
growing number of OpenWrt users use our stuff too: please do not add
ipk-Depend: kmod-tun, but add some words in the ipk-Description: You may add
"insmod tun>/dev/null 2>&1" to start script. As usual, several software
solutions competing for attention here. Small overview:

- ipsec will run on fff, packs avail. Size: 176k+3k(kmod) which is fine.
   Speed: OK, NAT: no. MTU-probs, Maybe ubiquitous "Opportunistic
   Encryption" one day if someone invents a distributed key system
   (may be the same day all IP distribution probs are solved automatically
   without converting all mesh participants into dumb consuments).

- openvpn will run on fff. Size: 136k+472k(ssl)+38k(lzo) which is huge.
   Speed: OK, NAT+via Proxy: excellent, No MTU-probs

- tinc seems to run on fff, but I dont know much about this
   Size: 45k+472k(ssl)+38k(lzo)

- ipip is the smallest (only ipip.o required), but has no encryption.
   Rest is built into FFF (ip tunnel add...), evt. MTU-probs

- my favorite is cipe (ipk avail)
   Size: 38k, Speed: Fine, NAT: evt. OK, MTU: seems OK

Cipe was invented in the i486 days. No MIPS assembler speedup module, but
seems to perform fine with C code. Software smells a bit (is really old) but
would fit best for the purpose IMHO. Symmetric keys (e.g. use ls -lR
/tmp|md5um as a generated key) will be fine, keys can be exchanged by phone
/ SMS which is sufficient too.

TIA, Sven-Ola