[WLANware] Bug with S05nvram and WL-HDD

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 8 03:19:12 CEST 2006

>Dan Flett schrieb:
> > It took a while, but I've narrowed the problem down to the S05nvram
>init.d
> > script that runs at firstboot only.
>yes, i know this problem for all freifunk-firmware versions. I always
>correct our localized Firmware at this point.
>http://firmware.leipzig.freifunk.net/
>
> > defaults, S05nvram does not correctly set the "lan_ifnames" variable.
>This
> > isn't usually a big problem with most firmwares WL-HDD, including a
>
>this setting activates the bridge between wlan (eth2 at wl-hdd-asus) and
>lan. but with freifunk there should be no bridge, we have routing
>between all interfaces.

Yes true.  By saying "not a big problem" I meant that it didn't always brick
the router. :)  The fact that the Freifunk Firmware won't work the way it's
supposed to is a problem that does need fixing - but at least people's
routers aren't being bricked.

>my corrections in S05nvram:
>-----------------
>
>original freifunk:
>
>          WLHDD)
>                  ### wl-hdd hacks ###
>                  nvram_set lan_ifnames "eth1 eth2"
>                  nvram_set wan_ifname "none"
>
>leipzig version:
>
>          WLHDD)
>                  ### wl-hdd hacks ###
>                  nvram_set lan_ifnames "eth1"
>                  nvram_set wan_ifname "none"

Again, this might be a problem if the user clears nvram - "productid" will
be erased and this fix won't work.  The latest S05nvram from WhiteRussian
uses "et1phyaddr" which survives a cleared nvram - so it should work in more
situations.

Cheers,

Dan