[WLANware] Domain

Peter Abrahamsen rainhead at gmail.com
Sun May 14 00:34:28 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Sorry, somehow I missed seeing the responses to my original message.

My problem is this: with dnsmasq, setting a domain in System ->
Domain prevents queries for that domain from being passed to my
upstream DNS server. Which, if you ask me, is counter-intuitive.

I believe the problem is that the configuration of dnsmasq (which is
installed by default on Freifunk) assumes that anything not local is
"not us". In short, the border of the "internal domain" is, in the
common case of a wireless mesh network, not at the Freifunk
installation, but further upstream. The present Freifunk dnsmasq
configuration prevents lan hosts from considering themselves to be
part of an upstream DNS domain.

I can fix this behaviour by commenting out the local=/.domain.net/
option in dnsmasq.conf. This line is set by (/rom)/etc/init.d/
S50dnsmasq:

         test -n "$WAN_DOMAIN" && WAN_DOMAIN_LOCAL="local=/.
$WAN_DOMAIN/"

Apparently, local addresses can still be looked up by *.lan (and for
some of us, *.local).

Cheers,
Peter