[WLANware] Freifunk Gui to conqueer the world

Sven-Ola Tuecke mail2news at commando.de
Fri Jun 16 07:28:24 CEST 2006

Dan,

good points - thanks for your 2 cents. I personally do not want to compete
with anyone If FON supports meshing and does it in a technical compatible
way - I think they're welcome. If (and only if) that devices forward traffic
_without_ blocking / censoring / digigtal robbery -> PicoPeer.

Captive portals are the technical vehicle to censor interet access. Yes -
I'am aware of the fact, that some control over this resource is normally
necessary. An internet gateway offerer has potential power over others.
He/She can censor. He/She can change content. He/She can block content.
He/She has a technical way to push content. He/She can fetch passwords. Side
effect of not using End-to-End encryption/IPSec while browsing. TANSTAAFL.
Refer to recent discussions about net-neutrality. For this reason, such
things should to too easy for Joe Average to configure IMO.

I wasn't aware, that offering inet access is prohibited / heavy regulated in
some countries in a way you described. Maybe we can combine digital robbery
with captive portals with some useful things. Maybe funding for the inet gw
offerer (e.g. change every Google AdSense links to own account or so). And
yes - any [Accept] button should mention this.

Dunno yet, when I can find some time to do it - to make it easy, add
translation, popup help etc. Same as for PortFW. PortFW is really useful,
ACKed - this is a Good Thing (TM).

HTH Sven-Ola

news:BAY114-F97E5A24B6E0B3A69A77CEAF830 at phx.gbl...