[WLANware] [WLANnews] Selling the idea of OLSR

Harm Lübben h at 43chrome.com
Mon Jul 10 22:18:50 CEST 2006

Juergen Neumann:
>> * Mesh networks are not scalable - they cause too much CPU load on
>>
> Yes, we have experienced that again and again. But so far, the main
> developer of the freifunk.firmware - Sven-Ola - has always managed to
> solve this issue in time by optimizing the system, before(!) it really
> sucked. ;-)

We try to address our community to this problem by linking OSPF with OLSR.
(Hey, I really don't know why our main developer remains quiet on thís
subject. Immo, speak up, goddammit!)

Ok, we have a kinda plugin for OSPF, announcing OSPF routes via HNA on
OLSR and vice versa. (or something like that, excuse me, i'm not in this
techie stuff)
The idea behind it is to separate smaller OLSR segments from each other
and linking them via OSPF which causes less traffic for the routing
announcements. Disadvantage: With a mobile device you have to change
your settings if you change between segments.

There's also a OpenWRT package for this we're currently evaluating. I
think it was promoted on the OLSR dev list. Ah, here it is:
http://www.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-dev/2006-April/081908.html

--hl