[WLANtalk] [ICVPN] IPv4 allocation policy

Ranlvor ranlvor at no-dkim.starletp9.de
Di Okt 27 16:00:30 CET 2015

Ohai,

we currently lack documentation of our ICVPN-IPv4-Allocation-Policy.
That has caused frustration in the past so I'd like to add documentation
of our policy to ICVPN-Metas README file. Using discussions on #icvpn
(Hackint) and icvpn at lists.funkfeuer.at I gathered information about the
current policy and put them into a pull-request for icvpn-meta.

https://github.com/freifunk/icvpn-meta/pull/273/files

Should we merge this PullRequest in the current state or not?
Should I change anything?

Current state of the PullRequest:

Notes on IPv4 allocations
-------------------------

* There is only a limited amount of usuable IPv4 space available.
* 10/8 is used for connections between community networks across the
  ICVPN.
* Previously, people just took a /16, which means space is exhausted
  after 255 communites picked a network.
* Thus: think before you allocate a v4 network here: do you really
  *need* IPv4 connectivity between your and other Freifunk networks? If
  not, consider to use IPs from 172.16.0.0/12 or 198.18.0.0/15
  internally and do NOT announce them to ICVPN.
* If you think you do, please be conservative; rule of thumb: Meshes
  might not size well beyond 2000 concurrent users, double that for
  decent DHCP timings => a /20 (4k IPs) per Mesh sounds reasonable. For
  additional systems outside the Mesh, an additional /22 (1024 IPv4
  addresses) might be sufficient.
* If you use mostly routing (OLSR), things might look different, you
  might look into e. g. an /21 to distribute to clients and another /22
  for p2p-links if needed.
* Again, please plan ahead, than take your pick. Be prepared to be
  questioned on why, if you took e. g. more than /18 directly. But
  remember as well, that renumbering IS a pain.
* If you need more than a /18 in one community or city you need a
  _very_ good explaination, why you do need it.
* Minimum net size is /22, round up if you need less.

Greetings
Ranlvor