[WLANnews] IPv6 in olsr networks

Manuel Munz manu at somakoma.de
Mi Mai 30 12:40:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

i know this is being discussed for many years now but imo still
unsolved. What possibilities do we have to use ipv6 inside our mesh
networks? Because i want to make it possible to configure ipv6 with
freifunk image generator/meshwizard i started to look into the
possibilities we have and documented the ones i found so far in the
freifunk wiki [1]. I would be very interested to hear about other
concepts about how this can be done or is already done. If you find the
time it would be highly appreciated if you could add other
solutions/concepts to this page or discuss them on this list. Of course
also the concepts i mentioned so far should be discussed. Did i miss
some points in the pro/contra sections?

I plan to let communities decide which concept they want to use, they
will be able to select this in their comunity profiles. For our local
mesh network i actually tend to concept 4 for practical reasons. Imo the
right way would be to use concept 2 (global addresses) in combination
with PI+BGP, but unfortunately this option will be to expensive for our
small mesh.

Regards, soma

[1] http://wiki.freifunk.net/IPv6/IPv6Concepts