[WLANware] Google Summer of Code

Jan-Tarek Butt tarek at ring0.de
Fri Mar 11 16:57:10 CET 2016

Hi everybody,

My name is Jan-Tarek Butt. I'am currently a 2nd term student for
computer science at Emden University Lower Saxony Germany[1]. Some of
you might already know me from the Nordwest Freifunk community. I became
part of the Freifunk community in 2011. My first contact with it was in
Oldenburg(Oldb) in our Hackerspace.

At the moment I am developing with our local community an automatically
hood-network deploying system which is based on Puppet. The goal of that
project is to dynamically and easily deploy a new layer 3 network to put
regional Routers into its own network via Geo-positions. That will
reduce the batman-adv protocol overhead[2].

Another project which gave me a lot of experience in embedded
systems, was my remote controls Robotic system with a custom ultrasonic
radar system[3].

During the whole time I developed with locals the old Freifunk Oldenburg
firmware, but this project has been deprecated since 2 years, till we
switched to the gluon firmware.

I am very interested in the project:
Monitoring and quality assurance of open wifi networks: the client view

This project would give me the chance to improve my skills, even more
with embedded systems

Additionally I could also write the Statusdata Aggregation Client.

In our Nordwest-Freifunk git repository we have the old
nodewatcher written in ash and also a rewrite in lua on both projects the
"Monitoring and quality assurance of open wifi networks: the client view
" and the "Statusdata Aggregation Client". A JSON REST API
framework with a proper authentication is necessary  for both of them.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jan-Tarek Butt

[1]